Work Permit & Authorization

You can apply for a work permit after you apply for asylum. After you apply for asylum, you will receive a receipt in the mail that tells you when the asylum office received your application. It will say: "Your application is pending as of ___"  with a date. You can apply for a work permit 150 days after this date (when they received your application). 

Your work permit must be renewed in two years. When your work permit expires, it is automatically extended for 180 days past the date of expiration on your work permit card.

You still have to apply for renewal,  but this extension will help make sure that you are not left without work authorization while you wait for your new work permit card. 

If your employer/boss has any questions about this, or asks you for proof of this extension, here is what you should do:

1. Provide them with a copy of the receipt that shows that you have requested a renewal of your work permit.

2. Show them the letter (click button below) that your work permit is valid for six months while you are awaiting for your renewed work permit card.  

This letter can also be found on UCSIC website at