Higher education - University and college

As higher education is very expensive in the U.S, we recommend meeting with an expert for advise about educational programs that you are interested in. Please be cautious about for-profit institutions that are costly, and do not offer employment support! If and when you are granted asylum, there are many opportunities for financial aid and scholarships. 

If you have already studied in your country, you will have to have an academic equivalency evaluation to determine which of your credits can transfer. 

To discuss education opportunities, please contact Jennifer Call at the International Rescue Committee (IRC) to schedule an appointment, and mention that you have been referred by RIF -->

training For doctors

essen medical associates 

This group of medical facilities provides training programs to Foreign Medical Graduates (and Doctors).

  • Clinical Clerkship: an opportunity for those pursuing US Medical Residency to gain experience in US Healthcare. This is an unpaid volunteer position with a commitment of three months. After a training period, you will be matched with a healthcare professional in a medical office and you will work with them. At the end, you will receive a certificate of participation.
    • Requirements: You must be a graduate of a foreign medical school, you must be pursuing US medical residency, you must have your work authorization, and you must speak English well enough to interact with the medical staff. You must also be able to commit to a set schedule for the whole period of the program. 
  • Nurse Practitioner (NP): an opportunity for those who are not able or interested in pursuing medical residency in the US, but would like to work in the medical field. This program helps you to complete a degree as a Nurse Practitioner (NP) in three years instead of the normal period of 6 years. You will first complete a Bachelors of Science in Nursing in 15 months, and then you will move on to the Nurse Practitioner program in two years.  You are expected to work in primary care in the Bronx for a period of time after you complete the program. Essen Medical will also help you find part-time work to help you pay for the program.

If you are interested in either of these programs, please contact Ankit Shah at (929)-239-4160. Please have your resume ready. If you leave a voicemail, please say the program that you are interested in and your contact information.